- Trans 101: Transgender People in Everyday Work and Life!
Seven interactive modules covering key concepts related to transgender people and how to improve services for trans communities. (2019)
- Acknowledging Gender and Sex
This online course helps clinic staff and providers create a welcoming environment for transgender people. (2017)
- The Transgender Training Curriculum for HIV Research developed by the Division of AIDS Cross-Network Transgender Working Group.
This online course includes five training modules that are available as e-learning modules and in-person training tools. Includes an introduction to transgender communities, creating a gender-affirming HIV research environment, HIV in transgender communities, Trauma-informed care for transgender participants in HIV research, and Clinical considerations for transgender participants in HIV research. (2020)
Manuals and Guides
- SPNS Transgender Women of Color Initiative Intervention Manual
This manual describes nine interventions for engaging and retaining transgender women of color in quality HIV care that the CoE evaluated under this HRSA SPNS initiative. (2018)
- Transgender HIV Testing Toolkit (NTHTD = April 18)
This toolkit reflects the most current HIV prevention research, and best practices for serving trans and gender non-binary people. Guidelines to increase access and trans cultural competence among HIV testing programs and services are included, as well as practical tips and tools for agencies to participate in NTHTD activities. (2018)
- Implementing Comprehensive HIV Prevention Programmes with Transgender People: Practical Guidance for Collaborative Interventions
The UCSF Transgender Center of Excellence is a coauthor of this United Nations publication, which was developed to enable governments, public health officials, program managers, NGOs and health workers to create and improve HIV prevention programs for transgender people. (2016)
- Guidelines for the Primary and Gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and Gender Nonbinary People
Clinical care recommendations from the UCSF Transgender Care program. (2016)
- CATCH Reports and Implementation Tool Kit
Coalitions in Action for Transgender Community Health (CATCH). Materials designed to help a local coordinator facilitate implementing CATCH are provided in this toolkit. These materials provide detailed, step-by-step information on the process to follow and issues to consider when utilizing CATCH for local transgender communities.(2014)
- Personalized Cognitive Counseling: An Adaptation for Working with Trans Women
Guide for adapting the PCC invention for trans women. (2013)
- Trans EBI (TSISTA) Adaptation Toolkit (2010)
- Adapting Evidence-Based Behavioral Interventions for New Settings and Target Populations (Article)
- What are Transgender Women's HIV Prevention Needs? (Fact Sheet)
- SISTA Logic Model (Adaptation and Planning Tool)
- Sisters Informing Sisters on Topics about AIDS (Program Fact Sheet)
- TSISTA Resource Guide for Adapting SISTA for Transwomen (Manual)
Reports, Recommendations, and Presentations
- Health Care Experiences of Patients with Nonbinary Gender Identities. Bindman, J. Presentation. (February 2022)
- Recommendations for Inclusive Data Collection of Trans People in HIV Prevention, Care & Services
Sausa, L. A., Sevelius, J., Keatley, J., Iñiguez, J. R., & Reyes, M. (2009). Center of Excellence for Transgender HIV Prevention: University of California, San Francisco.
- Assessing Progress, Advancing Excellence: Serving Transgender People in California
Research and program report. (2008).
Fact Sheets and Summaries
- What are Transgender Women's HIV Prevention Needs?
UCSF Center for AIDS Prevention Studies Fact Sheet. (2015)
- ¿Qué necesitan las personas transgénero de masculino a femenino (MAF) para prevenir el VIH?
UCSF Center for AIDS Prevention Studies Fact Sheet. (2001)
- Transgender Issues in HIV
Sevelius J. HIV Specialist. American Academy of HIV Medicine. (December 2013)
- 8 Best Practices for HIV Prevention among Trans People
Poster and fact sheet prepared by the CoE. (2009)
- Counting Trans Populations
Summary of the policy recommendations. (2009)
Trans Health Fact Sheets
These brochures were developed with the California Family Health Council, and are available in English and Spanish. (2013)