HIV Prevention Capacity Building Assistance
From 2005 to 2019, the UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health provided technical assistance and training to community organizations across the United States as part of the CDC's HIV Prevention Capacity Building Assistance (CBA) network.
Beginning in 2009, the CoE partnered with UCSF's Alliance Health Project and the Center for AIDS Prevention Studies to support community-based organizations (CBOs) on high-impact HIV Prevention (HIP) (especially among those serving gay/bisexual/and other men who have sex with men, trans women, communities of color, incarcerated populations, and injection drug users) to improve their capacity to conduct HIV testing, prevention with HIV-positive individuals, and prevention with high-risk HIV-negative individuals.
The Transitions Project (2005-2009) was an earlier CBA project, through which the CoE provided free trainings, capacity building, and technical assistance throughout the United States to promote knowledgeable, sensitive, and effective HIV/AIDS prevention for diverse transgender (trans) communities, particularly trans communities of color. The goal of the transitions project was to increase the capacity of community-based organizations to adapt, implement, and evaluate evidence-based HIV prevention interventions for trans communities.
- Assistance with trans-specific adaptations and implementations of evidence-based HIV prevention interventions, including SISTA, the Mpowerment Project, Healthy Relationships, Project START, Street Smart, and others.
- Skills building trainings related to trans adaptations, implementation of trans adaptations, evaluation of trans adaptations, and trans cultural competency.
- Tailored one-on-one consultations delivered via phone, email, webinars, and/or on-site.
- Materials including trans adaptation guides and trans adaptation toolkits.
- Adapting Evidence-Based Behavioral Interventions for New Settings and Target Populations (Article)
- What are Transgender Women's HIV Prevention Needs? (Fact Sheet)
- SISTA Logic Model (Adaptation and Planning Tool)
- Sisters Informing Sisters on Topics about AIDS (Program Fact Sheet)
- TSISTA Resource Guide for Adapting SISTA for Transwomen (Manual)
- Personalized Cognitive Counseling: An Adaptation for Working with Trans Women (Manual)