The Transitions Project provides capacity building assistance (CBA) and technical assistance to community-based organizations (CBOs) and health departments throughout the US to promote knowledgeable, sensitive, and effective HIV/AIDS prevention for transgender communities of color and HIV+ transgender people. The project particularly focuses on young transgender women of color. The goals of the Transitions Project are:
- To improve healthcare providers’ awareness around issues that impact trans health and access to healthcare.
- To expand the capacities of HIV/AIDS prevention organizations in order to serve trans clients more effectively.
- To increase transgender-specific resources in community-based health promotion programs.
- To promote community building and networking among trans and gender-variant persons and allied service providers and advocates.
- To help adapt evidence-based interventions that were originally developed for other populations so that they are culturally appropriate and relevant to young trans women of color.