- 10/30/17 – CAB hosts Community Training on Research and HIV in the California Endowment, Oakland Conference Space
- 4/20/17 – Satish Pillai, PhD presents “State of HIV Cure Research” in a CAB Training – By amfAR Institute for HIV Cure Research
- 3/24/17 – CAB members discuss community engagement & dissemination at 2017 Bay Area HIV Health Disparities Symposium
The CAPS/PRC Community Advisory Board (CAB) comprises stakeholders from Bay Area agencies and communities. Its mission is to channel community input into the CAPS/PRC research agenda and initiate special projects aimed to help HIV prevention science reach stakeholders. Recommendations and concerns raised by the CAB are also channeled to the external Scientific Advisory Board convened by the Administration Core.
The CAB is charged with the following:
- Provide leadership and scientists with feedback on projects, as requested
- Alert scientists to community issues and hot topics in HIV prevention
- Review grant proposals and journal articles, when feasible
- Assist to develop community dissemination and outreach strategies
The CAB accepts and reviews new member applications once a year. New members are accepted based on the number of funded vacant slots and areas of expertise sought after surveying CAPS/PRC researchers, CAB members, and the Community Engagement (CE) Core staff. We especially encourage applications from HIV-positive individuals. Please contact CAPS/PRC with questions or inquiries about applying.
The CAB meets 4 times a year for a 3-hour, early evening session. The agenda is developed by the CAB co-chairs and include presentations by our researchers or leadership as well as CAB-initiated projects and issues. In addition, members participate in conference calls, participate in peer review, attend or make presentations at CAPS Town Halls, and participate in scientific retreats and related functions.
- Recommendations for Research Dissemination, developed by the CAPS CAB
- CAPS Dissemination Award, given by the CAPS CAB
- Read the CAB article Making Sure Research Is Used: Community-Generated Recommendations for Disseminating Research in the journal Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action.
- CAB Application. Please contact CAPS/PRC with questions or interest. Thank you.
- Peer Review Guidelines
- CAPS articles on community advisory boards